Week 6 Lab: Favorite Ted Talk (Language)

Where do new words come from? by Marcel Danesi was one of my favorite videos in the "Language" set. I learned some new things like "villain" originally meant a peasant farmer and "geek" meant a carnival performer. I also learned that 1,000 new words are added to the Oxford English Dictionary each year. I have always passively thought of language as evolving very slowly, but this number seems to contradict what I believed. Really thinking about it, it makes sense that so many new words are added - we are in a society that is rapidly evolving with technology, social trends, etc. and new vocabulary is going to come with these things.

Image Source. Screenshot from
How did English evolve?
How did English evolve? by Kate Gardoqui was a video that really blew my mind. It proposed two sentences at the beginning: "They gave us a hearty welcome" and "They gave us a cordial reception." Painting a mental image of these two pictures, I imagined the first one to be a comfy home setting, like the family of a friend welcoming me into their home with a southern cooked meal. For the latter, I imagined a much more fancy setting with attendees dressed nicely in a dining hall perhaps. I figure most people will think this way too (and the video agreed with me on that), but I thought "it's just because of the connotation of the words, no big deal..." Little did I know, "hearty" and "welcome" are Saxon words, whereas "cordial" and "reception" are French. For a period of centuries in the past, French-speaking people took over England. French became the language of the wealthy aristocrats, and peasants spoke old English. That is why a more "fancy" connotation is attached to the term cordial reception. I naturally understood this connotation the whole time without truly knowing the origin, and I think that is an amazing thing about language.

Comments

Popular Posts