Storybook Favorites

The covers for the three storybooks I chose to review in this blog post.



I enjoyed this storybook because I am interested in Asian cultures, especially Japanese. The introduction is intriguing and does a good job at premising the tales. It ends in such a way that is a cliffhanger, and makes me want to check out the stories! The story about the Japanese dragon was retold well with plenty of detail but without being too long. The same goes for the story of the Korean dragon, and here I think the pictures did a nice job of complimenting the story.

The Costa Rican Myths storybook was another favorite of mine. I like the way the introduction is written, and I appreciate the information on the geography/demographics of Costa Rica before getting into the tales - it is good to understand the region where the stories are coming from. I saw the story of La Llorona which caught my attention because I have been told some aspects of the story by mouth but have never had the full story told to me. I also enjoyed the layout of these posts, with expandable tabs for author's note and bibliography at the bottom of the page.

Draupadi Born from Fire is written as a biography style storybook. I learned a lot just by reading the highly informative introduction, and there was a lot more to unpack in the stories themselves as well. I really like this design as it connects several tales to a bigger picture of Draupadi's life. It is unique compared to many of the other storybooks I looked at which told a few separate tales. I would prefer if this storybook had more pictures - it is a long story compared to some others, so more pictures to go along with screen-sized blocks of text would make for a more pleasant read. Otherwise, it is a great storybook.

Comments

Popular Posts