Thoughts on Carol Dweck's Growth Mindset

I must admit that I am guilty of being on the fixed end of the spectrum in academic settings my whole life. I have always done well in school without having to try too hard up until college; I used to think math, science, etc. came naturally to me and that was a positive thing. After watching the growth mindset videos, I immediately questioned whether I have been pushing myself hard enough, or whether I have gotten too comfortable with just getting good grades. Getting A's with little effort certainly doesn't seem like a bad thing at first, but I do have concerns that I will be stumped by some problems in the future - in fact, I have already encountered problems which make me feel defeated in my more difficult classes. Such problems can be discouraging, and make me want to look up the answers. Before watching these videos, I was unfamiliar with the concept of growth vs. fixed mindset; after watching them, I have decided to take on tough obstacles with a growth mindset from now on.

Image Source. Breezing through K-12 education made me feel like I'd conquered a mountain as in the above image. This has not always been the case in college, and I must adapt to a growth mindset to keep up.















Comments

Popular Posts